The Inspiration for the project, the only picture I have of my Great-Grandfather. He was a fireman; I also have police officers in my family.
It troubles me greatly when the news of today seems to only report on those "bad apples" and in a large group of very good men and women. This would be a perfect way to celebrate the best of our society.
Identify all police officers and firemen who have served for Pierce County.
1) After Pierce County, then to expand to the entire state, and hopefully nationwide.
2) Free database.
3) Along with picture, a list of service dates and post of service.
4) Fully and properly sourced.
5) Consider adding other first responders.
1) Library Research: review all the old microfilm/fiche available to get a list of those mentioned in the newspapers. Newspapers.com and ChronicalingAmerica.gov can also be utilized in this effort.
2) Get copies of any pictures of the officers/firemen.
3) State Archives: contact the archives and find out if there are records that might include information (such as accident reports).
4) Search local history books for names and photographs.
5) Work with the Departments to gain access to any information on personnel that is more than 70 years old.
I am interested in this project, but not right now. Between visiting my mother at Franke tobey Jones skilled Nursing facility; volunteer coordinator for Tech Trek 2022 (July STEM camp); and the 1950 Census indexing, I'm fairly busy. Maybe, in June?
Judy, I'm interested, my nephew is a firefighter in Pierce County, he may be able to help with finding pictures. Melody